Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Easy Mock Lasagna (aka Italian Noodle Bake)

Easy Mock Lasagna

1 pound Italian sausage (hot or sweet to preference), browned and drained
15 ounce container ricotta
1 egg
3 c. shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1/8 tea. nutmeg
black pepper
8 ounces small egg noodles (or pasta of your choice - see notes), cooked to package instructions
1 25.6 ounce jar pasta sauce

Combine ricotta, egg, 1/2 c. mozzarella cheese, nutmeg and black pepper to taste in a bowl.

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a casserole dish with Pam (see notes). Place cooked noodles covering the bottom of dish. Top with ricotta mixture.

Combine sausage and pasta sauce and put it on the ricotta in casserole dish. Top with remaining 2 1/2 cups of mozzarella cheese.

Bake for 45 - 55 minutes or until cheese begins to brown and is hot all the way through.

Notes:

The little egg noodles worked great in the dish because they were nice and soft and did not add a distinct flavor, like a wheat penne or the like would. But, the instruction said to cook them 10 minutes. They were PLENTY done at 6, so if you use them, watch them closely. I would recommend cooking any noodle you use no longer than the short end of the cooking time because they will cook more in the oven.

I used my 8 1/2 by 10 inch dish for this recipe. It would work in something slightly bigger, but I would not go smaller. If you go a lot bigger, you may want more cheese on top.

We really like this - it had all the flavor of lasagna with MUCH less work and mess. I would make this again in place of lasagna any time.

I might add some Parmesan cheese next time for a little stronger cheese flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts: